[DISCUSSION] Mantle zkEVM Research & Industry Collaboration

I completely understand what you’re saying. The rivalry is there for some reason but that doesnt change the fact that ZK and optimistic tech have been proven (at least theoretically) to complete each other and help an ecosystem grow rapidly.
I just saw the comment you’re talking about and yeah it makes complete sense.
But either way if the zkEVM is build on top of the current rollup or as a separate one, it would still be a major step for Mantle

5 Likes

glad to see a zkEVM being discussed. it doesnt have to be either optimistic or ZK. i think ethereum can benefit from L2s implementing both.
besides, this means that mantle will be reaching to a wider audience

3 Likes

couldnt agree more tbh. im all for mantle doing whatever it takes to grow its relevance in the space, and it was already a good start coming out as the first modular L2, would be good for mantle to continue on to be the first modular L2 with ZkEVM. doesnt matter how it does it as long as it gets it done IMO

1 Like

It’s not really rivalry imo, both solutions are coming to the same end-goal and I think from Mantle’s POV, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having both integrated within the ecosystem.

6 Likes

I agree, there is no real rivalry between both, theoretically both technologies have tons of potential, and Mantle stands to gain from having both technologies.

3 Likes

@Geex & @mcalcoholic
What I meant with my comment is that ZK and Optimistic tech CAN and SHOULD coexist. It’s just that some people pointlessly try to pick sides for some reason (which I think is stupid)

I love what Mantle is doing. If we keep this up, hopefully people like the ones I just mentioned would realize how foolish it is to pick sides when it comes to L2 tech

4 Likes

glad to see a zkEVM being discussed too

4 Likes

One thing for sure is that the space has more ZK Rollups than Optimistic Rollups, but this isn’t really a factor to compare with because the latter is supposed to reduce verification costs while the former “scales” by shifting computation off-chain.

Ideally we should have both because it’s still uncertain which will be leading the charts in the coming months.

2 Likes

Actually the most ideal situation would be building a zkEVM on top of the existing optimistic rollup. But as I previously mentioned, I dont know if this would be a viable option due to the complications that come along with it, even if it were a possible thing to achieve given enough time and resources

Would love if @arjunkalsy commented on this and gave us is personal opinion

2 Likes

Honestly I’m not very knowledgable when it comes to development or coding, so I’m not in a position to say which direction would be better, but I’m pro having a ZkEVM on Mantle and getting ahead in the ZkEVM race.

1 Like

Moving towards ZkEVM is a very good decision. Especially with cooperation with Zksync.

1 Like

this is totally possible. We can launch with an optimistic mainnet and then add a ZK prover later to convert our network into a ZK Rollup.

This approach is also another one which we are researching.

3 Likes

Those who build on zkEVM will be the winners. I do believe that this would be a very good decision. Not sure if there’s going to be any issued between Optimistic network and zkRollup space

2 Likes

how about the current situation of Mantle ZKEVM? did mantle proceed with this ? we need to enhance our efficiency

3 Likes

There are some great ideas in play here. The key to mass adoption is balance and collaboration. There are too many blockchain islands where the aim is to stand alone and eventually dominate, and not enough blockchain continents where the efforts are collaborative and delegated according to strengths, ambitions and purpose, with less focus on individual branding and autonomy. We will achieve mass adoption by working together and building on each others ideas. zkEvm is a good example of this.

3 Likes

when we will proceed to snapshot?

2 Likes

I guess they’re launching on mainnet as optimistic rollup first then process to migrate to to zkEVM later. iirc OP stack (which is used by Mantle) is capable for migrating to zkEVM without much hassle

1 Like

With so many blockchains will be exactly the same like with computers in 80’s and 90’s. Time will sort this out and there will stay only several powerful chains on the market. I think

1 Like

I think, it is a very nice and good idea for us to reach the maximal interoperability between EVM blockchains. Then, we will be free to move one to other one when we decided to do it, or simply to have the options to do fast, clear and cheap if we needed.

Have a nice weekend everybody

2 Likes

Agreed. Mantle has more than enough capabilities, resources, and exposure to talent to make it possible, plus ZkEVM is the trend coming into 2023, add to that the fact that Mantle is a modular L2… I think this chain can set a new standard for the future if this is played right.